On July 2, 2007, ELNA company (Moscow) launched the power supply control system at the Volkhovskaya compressor plant, a part of the land-based section in the Nord Stream gas pipeline (Gazprom, Lentransgaz). System Integration Department at AdAstra Research Group, Ltd (Moscow) worked closely with the team to help develop the new control system.
The power supply control system of the Volkhovskaya compressor plant boasts of the best hardware and software solutions from the Russian vendors - SCADA TRACE MODE 6 system and ELPK-03 controllers from ELNA. Moreover, this project involved the most efficient and advanced technology of integrated project development, which provides a single development tool for both HMI disign for PCs and for controller programming.
The power supply control system at the Volkhovskaya compressor plant (Gazprom) offered automation for:
- indoor switch-gears (ISG) 10 kW;
- switch-yard assembly for the production/operation facility (SYA POF) 10/0.4 kW;
- switch-yard assembly for the gas air-cooling units (SYA GACU);
- switch-yard assembly of the compressor shop (SYACS);
- DC switchboard (DCS).
The complete operator level of the power supply control system of the Volkhovskaya compressor plant (Gazprom) is implemented using SCADA TRACE MODE 6 system and includes two workstations (AWS) for Dispatcher and Power Supply Manager, as well as TRACE MODE Documentation Server designed to generate process reports. Both workstations run under TRACE MODE RTM+ runtimes delivering the capabilities below:
- the compressor plant power supply process visualization, including the most important parameters;
- registering and time-stamping of events, alert and alarm signals;
- remote and automatic start/stop control for the compressor plant redundant diesel generators;
- remote control of the power supply units at the compressor plant (such as changing settings in microprocessor-based terminals);
- hardware protection against emergency and status/software diagnostics for the power supply control system;
- control of accumulator operation, parameters of the direct current circuit and status of the charging units at the compressor station;
- control of the operator's activities in the event of quick switching actions;
- validation of the input information;
- maintaining daily and rotation logs, diagrams of the changes of the current parameters, archive (including emergency information);
- commercial and technical power accounting, generating reports on energy carrier consumption, communicating information on power consumption to energy accounting organization;
- delivering real-time information to Gazprom office.
For the hardware level of the power supply control system at the Volkhovskaya compressor plant, the LPSs (local process stations) were installed at the switch-yard assembly for the production/operation facility and switch-yard assembly for the gas air-cooling units. These are based on ELPK-03 industrial controller by ELNA. The ELPK-03 controllers run under OEM-version of Micro TRACE MODE 6 software and enable easy programming using the TRACE MODE 6 integrated development system. The indoor switch-gears at the Volkhovskaya compressor plant include MicroSCADA by ABB, which is communicating information to TRACE MODE via the OPC server, while the switch-yard assembly of the compressor shop includes SCADA-based microprocessor relay protection unit from Mekhanotronika. SCADA TRACE MODE system and the microprocessor relay protection unit communicate via a specially designed driver.
All the nodes within the project of the power supply control system at the Volkhovskaya compressor plant are connected via Ethernet and time-synchronized.
The Volkhovskaya compressor plant was not the first industrial project by Gazprom to implement a control system based on the best Russian TRACE MODE SCADA software. Gazprom has been successfully using AdAstra Research Group, Ltd supplied software in the gas compressor unit control and compressor shop control since 1999.